Quilts And All Things Fabric...

As an avid fabric enthusiast, a blog about quilts and all things fabric just seemed the obvious thing to do.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Busy, busy, busy....Need I say more?....Busy!

For whatever reason, being retired seems to take up all my time! It's just work, work, work at something all the time. Unfortunately, it never seems to be sewing, sewing, sewing  (playing, playing, playing) all the time anymore!

With such warm weather this March, we got an early start on preparing the garden for spring planting (work OUTDOORS). And of course got the early plants in. That just includes the onion sets, carrots, beets, sugar snap peas, spinach, lettuce and radishes. The strawberries are already in full bloom and setting berries. Really hope we don't have a late freeze! The asparagus is already popping up. The weeds in the flower beds are prolific! I spent an hour and a half weeding one section this morning.
After all the rain we had last week, (about 3" all totaled), I really thought the little weeds would just
The dark line meandering down the lake is DEBRIS flowing .
 pop out of the ground. Right. Well, that's what I thought anyway. Seems they just put all that water into new root growth and anchored themselves deep into the earth!

The photo at right was taken on March 21 and shows the debris floating down the lake. It was so grey and cloudy that day, the picture looks like it's in black and white except for the little bit of green showing in the tree tops. The water looks so greyish-white it appears frozen in the photo, but definitely not. We don't get cold enough here for the lake to freeze.

(Maybe next month I'll post a garden photo.)




However, as much as I complain about doing other 'stuff' besides sewing (playing), I did manage to finish another of the floor pillows for one of my little granddaughters. And made another of the "Professional Tote Bags" for her mother. :-) (big happy face there)

I think the little floor pillow...ok, so it's not so little at 24" X 24"....came out really cute.

It has been a very long time since I worked with ruffles. That ruffle strip is 5 yards plus long. It took me more time to position and gather up the ruffles than it did to make the other parts of the pillow sham. There is a zipper with a cover placket on the back of the pillow to make it easy to remove and wash.

I have 4 other young grandchildren that will be getting pillow cases with their names embroidered on them.
Another project for the 'to do' list!
Just need to jump right in there and DO IT!

The two oldest are just going to have to put in a request if they want one!

AND last but definitely not least, the fabulous "Professional Tote". I love this bag. I have one I use when I travel. The pattern is from The Creative Thimble and I purchased it at my local LQS a couple of years ago. I originally made one for myself and one for two of my daughters. One of my daughters requested another one because she uses hers all the time. And you know we moms just can't say no when our children ask for something and tell us what a good job we do, and that they could never make it look as good and on and on....Yeah, it's a bunch of "bologna sauce"  but it works every time. Ok, ok,...shame on me....I really don't mind doing it! Actually, I love making this bag. It's a lot of fun. Even with its 30 something + pieces...actual count depends on if the optional pieces are added.
Professional Tote pieces all cut and tagged  & ready to sew.
I did not get shot of the finished inside of the bag, but here are the pieces constructed and ready.  It has a big center zipper pocket (upper left in photo) with an optional pocket on one side and a vinyl business card pocket on the other side (vinyl pocket not showing in photo), a sectional pocket with flap covering center section(bottom left in photo), another sectional pocket (upper right in photo) and a small pocket with a key fob (bottom right in photo).

                          


 I did make a change to the original pattern and used elastic on the outside side pockets instead of the draw strings per my daughters request. Here are the pictures of the front and back of the bag.

So, that's what I've been up to for the last couple of weeks. 
Right now there is fabric waiting on the ironing board for two more bags for myself and another daughter. Different pattern though.
I also am supposed to be working on a quilt-along, but am waiting on some fabric ordered for it. And I finally ordered the backing for my King quilt. As soon as it arrives, that will take priority. 
Hey, looks like I am finally getting to sew some more!
Whoopee! Off to the ironing board!






No comments:

Post a Comment