Quilts And All Things Fabric...

As an avid fabric enthusiast, a blog about quilts and all things fabric just seemed the obvious thing to do.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

This and That in the Sewing Room

It's been awhile since I've written anything on here and that makes me feel like such a slacker, although most of my time has been spent in the sewing room working on various projects. It just seems like there is never enough time in the day to get it all done.  And that's inexcusable because we are retired and I really have no obligations...other than cooking, cleaning, laundry, and walking the dog....It has become evident that I need to learn to prioritize my time. So in my evening 'down' time which is and has always been devoted to reading or crocheting (Yes, I do that too, and will eventually get photos up on this blog.) I'm reading a self help book titled "The Willpower Instinct" by Kelly McGonigal, PhD. My hope it that it will help me learn to be more focused in accomplishing  my goals. I'll keep you posted on progress.... Now on to what really matters on here....SEWING!

Several people have been very kind in their comments of my tote bags and that is extremely appreciated. Thank you! Tote bags and hand crafted purses are one of my favorite things to make. Most of the bags I have made are for gifts, but on occasion one is just for me. As in this "Professional Tote".

I absolutely LOVE this bag! In fact so much so, I have purchased fabric to make another one in dark (Purple of course!) colors for fall and winter use. This is the perfect travel bag. On the next one I make, the handles will be just a tad shorter with an adjustable shoulder strap added. These handles are long enough to go over my shoulder, but not in a comfortable way. And I'm "vertically challenged" so making the handles longer isn't an option, because then the bag would drag on the floor.

BUT all this isn't what this blip is all about today. What I really want to share is the label I made for this tote. Since this bag was made for me by me I wanted the label to reflect that. So here's a photo of the label:

What I originally wanted to print on it was:
 Hand Made 
by
"The Old Bag"
for 
"The Old Bag"
By Me for Me
 (Kathy Biggs)
2010
....but decided I wasn't really an old bag... not yet anyway.  (Uh...the real reason I didn't print that is it made the label too big/long for the space available.) :-)
The label is printed on inkjet printable iron on fabric.
Anyway, this makes me officially one of the "bag ladies" of our time!

This week project is in line with the tote bags, but not exactly. It's a fabric box. Yes, BOX. To be used in my sewing room to hold my QWIP's (quilt works in progress). Isn't it cute?

It really is square, the photo angle makes it look out of lopsided. The box is 10 X 10 X 10. Here is a peak down inside.
This is made using a pattern for the "Large Fabric Tote" from the Fast & Furious Family book by Gudrun Erla. There are two other size patterns in the book and I already have fabric picked out for them. Just not sure I  have enough stabilizer on hand for both. These boxes are really easy to make and go together quickly. It takes longer to cut them out than to sew them up.
Like I said previously, I love making totes and this tote type container fits right in.

Have a SEW great day everyone!
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment